Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Work that saves us.

The nature of work can be elusive in our day and place. My daughter wants to earn money to buy
a hand held game system. While I was at work she did various chores on a list I had made for her before I left. By the time I got back home she had earned $10. I am very proud of her! Just a week ago I was fretting over how to keep the kids busy while I taught a yoga class here and there. We had a serious conversation - which was actually me speaking with great emotion - telling them that I need to work so we can have the basic things and they need to help out and avoid idleness. It actually seemed to work. My kids are good. When I catch myself coddling them - wanting to spare them the work - I have to stop myself. That's my mom's approach, but it doesn't have to be mine. Since I stopped seeing work as a punishment we have all been a lot happier. I am blessed to do something I love for work for just a few hours a week and to have such great kids who are learning to embrace the principle of work in their own lives. Work can save us and we ought to be grateful for the opportunity to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment