Wednesday, June 16, 2010

bad language in third grade?!?!

An overheard conversation has revealed that my 9 yr old daughter, just finishing the 4th grade, has had her sweet little ears littered with bad language. According to her and a neighbor friend, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders at their elementary school use profanity. It's no wonder that my daughter has been asking to be homeschooled and even said that the environment is not good for her. I had been hesitating, not sure if I could handle schooling her while taking her older sister back and forth to her classes at her independent study high school. Also, I have a part time job which takes me, currently, out of the house two days a week. I was willing to request a change in schedule in order to homeschool her and still am. However, my daughter changed her mind and now wants to go to 5th grade at the public school. Now I am not so sure if that is what we should do.

On the other hand, I know she will be exposed to it sooner or later. I can't completely shield her. But it does bring to mind the question of what I can do to fortify her. What does the use of bad language do, exactly, to a young mind? What does it do to a child who doesn't use that language to hear it? Their minds are young still. They are impressionable. How does the use of crude language affect their sentiments, spirit and disposition?

I remember how cranky she has been and now I understand. I know why she still wants me to cuddle with her at bedtime. She still sits on my lap and needs time almost everyday to be close to me. I realize now, how important is my influence for good. When the world is harsh, a child needs someone to be tender. When the world is wrong, a child needs someone to be right. When the world is demeaning, a child needs someone to remind him or her that he or she is divine. When the world is base, a child needs someone to treat him or her as a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment