Sunday, June 6, 2010

Discovery

In theory, I have made a discovery worth noting. Moms, if you would like some quiet time while everyone is home and if you have a primary grade child who is busy and active then I share this discovery particularly with you.

Yesterday, while doing various household chores as we usually do on a Saturday, my 7 yr old son kept asking to play hide and go seek. It was unusual but we had fun playing games the night before and he seemed more obedient after we spent time together that I said, "Sure, we'll play hide and go seek just as soon as I finish this last task." He waited and even helped me accomplish the chore. Then I counted first while he hid. I found him and then it was my turn to hide. I had to make some sounds to lead him to the bathroom where I was or I might have been there for a long, long time. I counted again, found him, then he counted. And here comes the discovery.

I hid under my big king sized bed. I could see his little feet going from room to room. And as any mother knows children do not really look when they look. That is why we are constantly helping them find missing items because most of the time they do not really know how to search. He walked into our bedroom several times and stood in the middle of the room then walked out thinking he had "looked" in my bedroom.

Meanwhile I was quite comfortable under the bed surrounded by miscellaneous stored items.
It was quiet, cool and restful. I thought of the box of chocolates in my wardrobe a few feet away and wished I had taken them with me when I hid. I also thought about the book I have just begun to read and have been wanting to get back into but haven't found a portion of quiet time to do so. He walked back into our room a few more times until our dog, Oli, gave me away by laying down next to me. Although I was completely hidden, Oli was not and Eduardo decided I must be under there because Oliver follows me everywhere.

While I was under there I thought how I could hide really well next time, bring provisions, and have a few minutes of quiet time to myself while my son "looked" for me. I thought maybe other mothers might appreciate this discovery and I couldn't wait to share it. Hide and Seek, a way to play with your child and get a few moments of quiet time, all in one game! When it's your turn to hide, have provisions ready to take with you, hide somewhere comfortable and of course, know how long to hide without raising suspicion. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment