Monday, June 7, 2010

My right hip

I went to the gym with my daughter this afternoon. We did 20 min on the elliptical, stretched then took showers. I took her shopping for Sunday clothes. After a few minutes in the store I could barely walk. My right hip felt stiff and painful. I could hardly get in and out of the car and I felt exhausted. We finished out shopping. In the kitchen I hobbled along getting something to eat while my mom, recovering from a right hip replacement and broken right femur, hobbled along too. It was funny.

Almost immediately after the pain started I noted that mom and I were afflicted in the same hip. I kind of understood how it must have felt to walk with pain. I realized how other women must feel who walk with pain. I decided to let the experience imbue me with empathy from that moment on. I questioned my attitude towards those with bodily afflictions. Do I blame them for not taking care of their bodies better? Maybe a little. But I am going to work on not doing that anymore. Pain in my right hip is a humbling experience and I hope it gets better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment