Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Are we all alike?

Two moments this week make me wonder how alike we are. First, last Sunday, the sweetest
mom in our church taught the women. She said that, with 8 kids, there were moments when she got angry and that by following the Spirit she was able to make better choices as a mother. I never would have guessed that she got angry. She truly is the sweetest mom I have known ever. I felt a shudder of relief and wondered at the idea that we were alike in some way.

The second moment occurred today during the bridal shower of a great friend. Her friends quizzed her fiance on information about their relationship and the game was to see if the bride to be would answer the question in like fashion as her fiance. One of the questions was, "What about your bride to be irritates you?" It turns out they disagree on how to wash the dishes. I thought our household was the only one in which that could be such a big deal at times. I wish I would have known this. It would have spared me the moments of thinking our marriage was doomed because I like to wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher and my husband thinks this a waste of time and energy.

Mothering and marriage. Underneath the different backgrounds, cultures, demographics, etc. are we really all very much alike? If so, why did I think otherwise? I have to think about this because it could change my outlook on my life radically........

No comments:

Post a Comment