Monday, July 12, 2010

What it takes.

"Breakfast will be ready in five minutes!" It is a cheerful voice at 6:45am on a clouded summer morning. It is time for soccer camp, a week long, 3 1/2 hour a day activity to keep small bodies
busy and growing minds from getting slumpy as we near the middle of this wonderful season. The two children for whom the invitation was made have no idea just what it took for to accomplish
that declaration that lasted just seconds.

I woke up a little before five am. I couldn't sleep much to my husbands disappointment. He loves so much sleep that he actually grieves for someone who can't. I finally climbed out of bed and headed to the kitchen where my computer is. I turned in on and began my day. For me, this has become writing. I am part of a writing workshop that requires we write everyday. In order to avoid this taks getting pushed aside I do it first thing after which I comment on a few fellow writer's musing and sometimes even get inspired to write some more. It is a wonder of a process, really. So I wrote and read for an hour. Then I did homework for half an hour before it was time to get dressed and wake up the kids.

The reason I felt cheerful is that I require a certain amount of mental activity to clear my head and help me be in a good mood. Physical activity does the same thing. I'll do that too today.
So, my ideal day is when I have been a happy person for my kids. If it takes some work to get there, I will do it. That is what it takes, so I'll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment