Friday, July 2, 2010

Dependable

What is dependable? Am I, dependable? I try, certainly. But it seems that I am often at the mercy of this swirl of emotions, like an unsettled ocean , that can be calm one moment and stormy the next.

But there are small ways to be dependable. Would you like a bowl of cereal? To which my 7 year
old responds excitedly, "Lucky Charms!" How easy he is to please. It took me less than a minute
to assemble the meal and he was happy. I look like an absolute hero. Does he know how many
choices it took me to get to that place where I can pour him a bowl of Lucky Charms at 7am while the rest of the household still sleeps?

There were so many choices. There was a great many "no" answers. Actually, it was the same few questions to which I chose to answer "no" repeatedly until my life became channeled, focused to a point that took me exactly to that moment of "Would you like a bowl of cereal?"

I don't know if that is dependable. I know it's the best I can do and it has taken all I have got to get there, so, I sure hope it's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment